Thursday, July 26, 2007

The professional Ubuntu (first part)

Ubuntu Studio is an unofficial flavor of Ubuntu, based on Gnome and few other apps, all available through the official Ubuntu repositories.
I will not discuss on how installing Ubuntu Studio in details (see UbuntuStudio.org or/and this wiki for more infos on this topic), but I will tell you one thing: this distro best embodies my concept of "modularity". They took the very few of the Ubuntu core (the "main module") and built up around it a consistent distro, made itself of other modules (that are known, in the Ubuntu language, as "meta-packages").
Ubuntu Studio is made up of 4 meta-packages:
  • Graphics, featuring Gimp, Inkscape, Agave, CinePaint, Scribus and so on
  • Audio, featuring Audacity, Jack, Ardour, Muse and others
  • Video, a metapackage that contains Cinepaint, Kino, Stopmotion and others
  • Audio plugins, containing the most useful plugins for the apps of the Audio meta-package

When I came to install Ubuntu Studio on my laptop I found very interesting to choose at install-time which of those sets of apps will be installed: the installer did all of the hard work on his own, by taking all the .deb packages from the installation CD.
So, this is the first goal of modularization that has been obtained : simple and powerful 20-minutes installations that lets your system in a consistent and immediately productive state.

Also, Ubuntu Studio does so by targeting a precise and unique target of users: the creative professionals.
I want modularity... just give me all AND ONLY the packages I need for my work!

<< Link to the Intro | Link to the second article >> [COMING SOOOOON...]

No comments:

Post a Comment