Sunday, July 29, 2007

Feed43: build an RSS feed from plain HTML

When you need to provide an RSS feed to a web-site you aren't able to edit (i.e. you are nor the admin, nor one of the maintainers of this web-site), well, if this is your case, the service I'm going to describe is the solution you were looking for.

Feed43 is a pretty useful service: it satisfied my demands without the need for me to know nor the XML schema of the RSS standard, nor any other particular notion.

It lets define a parsing schema of an HTML page by using a simple wizard. After I entered the site for creating a feed, I suddenly switched to "Advanced mode" and I found this advanced mode being both powerful and simple to understand.
Just a thing may be a bit obscure: hot to use the "{%}" or "{*}" template tags.
I personally used just "{%}" and then, after looking at the assigned numbers in the "Clipped data" text-area, I provided "{%1}" or "{%2}" to, respectively, the "Item title template" and "Item content template".

But, you know, the better way to understand how it works is to try yourself...

This service really fitted my needs, allowing me to build a feed up in less than 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment