Saturday, July 14, 2007

Intel Core Duo optimizations and CK patches for Ubuntu Feisty

If you are, like me, a performance-hungry guy, well, today I have very good news for you.
I found a repository that provides optimized Linux kernel builds for Ubuntu Feisty.
Provided optimizations are the following:
  1. CK patches (read more at this link)
  2. Kernel compiled with Intel Core Duo optimizations
This work is provided by Giuseppe, an Italian blogger you can found at http://www.iuculano.it.
Check Giuseppe's post to read more details; the author of the blog is Italian (like me!), so expect to read these details in Italian... But, even if you don't understand Italian, well this is the sequence of steps to add Giuseppe's repositories to your list and for installing the patched kernel:

wget http://ubuntu.iuculano.it/AE3BE9AA.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

After that, add this repositories to your sources.list:
deb http://ubuntu.iuculano.it feisty all
deb-src http://ubuntu.iuculano.it feisty all

Finally:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-686-ck linux-headers-686-ck
or
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-core2-ck linux-headers-core2-ck
(depending on your CPU)

Note that even if the kernel is labeled "*-core2-*" it works fine in my Core Duo "first generation", so it sure suits well both Core Duo and Core 2 Duo CPU families.

I tried myself the so-optimized kernel and I found that it provides actual noticeable performance increment only for those applications CPU-intensive (e.g. GIMP, video editing and audio conversations). It also seems that my desktop is more responsive, but I didn't take any test to verify an eventual performance gain for the X server.
I warn you: don't expect sparks and a performance boost from every application of your system (especially from IO-intensive applications... )!

At the bottom of the Giuseppe's post is also provided a tip to increase the responsiveness of the X server:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow x11-common
and answer -10 when it asks for the X server "nice" value.
This is a tip that works with every kernel (it affects the X server, not the kernel) and could probably increase your desktop responsiveness, but I didn't try it, so I can't tell you more.

(If you wanna know more about CK (Con Kolivas) kernel patches: ck.wikia.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment