Saturday, July 28, 2007

Make two different Firefox versions cohabit in the same Ubuntu installation

Few days ago I was founding quite disappointing the performance of my Firefox web browser under my Ubuntu distro. In addition, the installed Firefox version won't be updated until Gutsy (or until a security update will be published). (this is a policy I sincerely don't understand: why I can have the always up to date software in Windows and not in Ubuntu? Mah!)

BTW, I came to a solution: installing from the binaries provided by the Mozilla foundation would be enough... Nearly enough: I also didn't want to loose my current Firefox installation, nor I wanted to loose all the plugins and the extensions I had already installed and configured.
So I turned to this solution: install the new version (downloaded from here) side by side with the "old" one, letting them share the same settings folder.
  1. Download Firefox
  2. Move "firefox-2.0.0.5.tar.gz" to your home directory
  3. Extract it (tar xf firefox-2.0.0.5.tar.gz)
That's all: from your home folder run firefox/firefox or type ./firefox from the "firefox" folder or place an icon on your desktop.

From now on the two versions of Firefox will share preferences, settings and extensions (all the settings and the extensions are located into your /home/$USERNAME/.mozilla/firefox folder).

Let me know if that works.

(Coming soon: the same way for... Thunderbird!)

No comments:

Post a Comment