Wednesday, June 20, 2007

How to get Blender 2.44 working on ubuntu 7.04

Hi folks!
My current Ubuntu system is an UbuntuStudio 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) and it cames with Blender 2.43 installed... "But I want the 2.44 one!", so I searched for a .deb package, maybe optimized for my DualCore... nothing worth enough to risk corrupting my clean, "synaptic-only" installation.
So I came to this compromise: enable the backports of Gutsy Gibbon (the future Ubuntu 7.10), which contain Blender 2.44, and install it by simply clicking on "Mark for upgrade" in my Synaptic window.

But lets procede with order:
1. Go to "System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager"
2. Now: "Settings > Repositories"
3. Select the "Updates" tab
4. Check "Unsupported updates (feisty-backports)"
5. "Close"
6. Now reload the software list by clicking the "Reload" button
7. Look for the "blender" package: it's shown as upgradable (you know the beautiful little star?)
8. Click and select "Mark for upgrade"
9. Apply changes
10. ... Done!

I obtained my new Blender, but still I miss optimized builds... maybe one of these days I will build them on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment